Dental Checkups & Cleanings – Montgomery, MN
Prevent Cavities with Regular Visits to our Office
At the Montgomery office of Dr. Geoff Iverson, we believe providing quality preventive oral care is the best way to help our patients avoid cavities and ensure serious dental problems do not develop. That is why we encourage all our patients to visit us every six months for a routine dental exam and professional cleaning, as recommended by the American Dental Association. Whether you are a new or returning patient, we will be happy to see you walk through our doors! Here is some more information on what you can expect when you visit Dr. Iverson for your next dental checkup and cleaning.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning
Even if you brush and floss every day at home, bacteria in the form of plaque and tartar can build up in the nooks and crannies in your mouth. Without visiting a dentist for professional cleaning in Montgomery, you will be left vulnerable to tooth decay and other oral diseases.
A professional teeth cleaning at our office usually proceeds as follows:
- First comes a process called scaling, in which one of our experienced dental hygienists uses special tools to carefully scrape each tooth to remove any harmful plaque and tartar.
- Next, we use a prophylaxis paste – a gritty form of toothpaste used by dental professionals – to thoroughly clean your teeth.
- Finally, we gently polish your teeth, leaving your smile looking great and feeling refreshed!
What Happens During a Dental Checkup
Preventive checkups are essential to identifying oral health issues early on and treating them before they can have a serious negative impact. After your teeth are cleaned, Dr. Iverson will conduct a thorough dental checkup to evaluate your teeth, gums, face and neck for any abnormalities.
He will use specials tools, such as a small angled mirror and dental probe, to carefully examine your mouth for signs of:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Broken or damaged teeth
- Damaged or missing dental restorations
- Discoloration inside your mouth
In addition, Dr. Iverson will check for early signs of serious health conditions, such as oral cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and diabetes. All of these diseases can sometimes show signs and symptoms in the mouth first before spreading to elsewhere in the body.
Finally, certain underlying oral health problems cannot be detected by the naked eye. For this reason, we may also take X-rays of your mouth to help uncover hidden problems, especially if it has been awhile since your last appointment.
Why are Dental Checkups so Important?
In addition to brushing your teeth twice every day and flossing daily, regular dental checkups & cleanings in Montgomery are critical to maintaining a healthy smile. Here are 3 reasons why:
- #1: Prevent Gum Disease – Dental professionals are able to detect the subtle early signs of gum disease, which can be difficult to see at home in the mirror.
- #2: Reduce Risk of Tooth Decay – Hardened tartar, which can lead to tooth decay, is impossible to remove simply by brushing at home.
- #3: Early Detection of Oral Cancer – Catching oral cancer early on is essential to successfully treating the potentially fatal disease.
Remember, opting for regular preventive dental care can help you maintain a healthy smile and prevent serious – and costly – dental problems from developing later down the road. To schedule your next dental checkup and cleaning in Montgomery, contact our team at the office of Dr. Geoff Iverson today!